Wednesday, July 29, 2015

6 Stars I'd Love To See As The Riddler


The world tends to overlook The Riddler as a great and iconic Batman villain.  With the newer movies taking a darker turn, The Riddler has drifted to the wayside in the film world along with other iconic villains like The Penguin and Mr. Freeze.  

But I think The Riddler is a bad guy that could really bring something interesting to the silver screen.  So if DC Films are thinking about bringing this character into all our Blu-Ray collections, here are 5 actors that I think could grab that iconic cane and run with it!

Neil Patrick Harris

Already a famous super villain from the cult classic: Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, Neil Patrick Harris has shown via film and stage that he can pull off eccentric roles quite easily.  Harris would pull off a different kind of Riddler, something dark yet comical in my opinion.  I also entertain the idea of a psychotic musical number.  His portrayal would be Legen...wait for it...dary.  (Sorry, had to do it.)

Jim Carrey

Call me a sucker for the classics, but he did a great version of The Riddler before, I think seeing him play a darker version of the same character would be interesting to say the least.  While Carrey is known as Hollywood's all time great funny men, he's also proven he can do crazy pretty good as well.  Carrey is also a bit older now and it would be cool to see a new take on an old gem.  I also really wanna go watch some 90s Batman movies now!

Benedict Cumberbatch

I slow speaking, more menacing Riddler?  I see that being just what Mr. Holmes himself would offer us if we saw Cumberbatch take the role.  Cumberbatch is somewhat of a darkhorse in my mind because he would offer up a completely new take on The Riddler than what tradition sees him as.  Alas, it may not happen, Benedict has already announced he'll be portraying Dr. Strange and usually in show business, it seems you only get one superhero.

Max Riemelt

A star from Netflix's new series Sense8 has been taking the internet by storm, mostly because in the series you get to know him...really well.  Riemelt has shown from that show alone that he can play the unstable role well.  I picture his version of The Riddler as more of a street made villain like he's made out to be.  Now I'm looking at comparisons between The Riddler and Aladdin...weird.

Zachary Quinto

Already a villain (a pretty dang evil one too) from NBC's Heroes, Quinto has the makings to become The Riddler and really make this character marketable.  His portrayal of Spock in the new Star Trek films really showed me how amazing this guy is, because honestly I didn't know it was him till the credits of the first film and I was a huge Heroes fan!  If Quinto was The Riddler, get me some popcorn, it's gonna be a good night!

David Tennant

While I respect all my other choices as Riddler, I true to my heart believet that The Doctor himself would be the perfect casting for the role.  After seeing Tennant portray my favorite version of The Doctor on Dr. Who, I quickly made comparisons between him and The Riddler.  One reason and one reason alone: delivery.  Tennant delivers lines and quips in the exact way that the iconic Batman villain should.  I see him producing lines that would become instantly iconic, such as Ledger's, "Why so serious?"  If anyone deserves this role, I again say that this man is tailor made!

No comments:

Post a Comment