Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I'm Just Not High On The Ascension


Pictured above are two guys that any WWE NXT fan knows all too well, they are The Ascension.  Making up the duo are Rick Victor (left) and Conor O'Brian (right) who are pulling off this goth gimmick thing.  

Some history, The Ascension began way back in the old days of WWE Developmental (well maybe not too long ago, but it's long gone) when it was still Florida Championship Wrestling.  Back then we saw Kenneth Cameron, Raquel Diaz, and Tito Colon along with O'Brian, but it kind of fell to the wayside.

(From Left To Right: Tito Colon, Conor O'Brian, Raquel Diaz, and Kenneth Cameron)

But now we're down to the two men currently on WWE NXT.  Now I'm not going to knock O'Brian or Rick Victor's in ring skills, that's not what irks me.  The thing that's driving me nuts is I can't stand these kind of gimmicks.

What gimmicks do I mean?  The goth/fallen angel/vampire gimmicks.  They never really go over well unless you're The Undertaker.  Second to The Undertaker there is really only one gothic type gimmick that has ever really remotely grabbed my interest:


Yes, I was a huge fan of Ariel during ECW for two obvious reasons...But nevertheless she along with her on-screen bat boy Kevin Thorn didn't last too long.

Back to topic, I think The Ascension are here to stay considering they just won the NXT Tag Team Championships, but they literally bore me.  There has to be something more to them, I get that they're creepy and Hot Topicish, but what do they really do?  There has to be a method behind the madness to these gimmicks or they are literally just two guys who put way too many metal studs on their clothes.  

I will wish the new champs the best, but I just really want to see something new before they just turn into reincarnation of The Brood.  Although I do know one person that would make very happy! 

(He looks so happy right?)

Here's hoping this gimmick gets dropped quicker than Mordecai.  

What do you guys think?  Do you agree?  Do you like The Ascension?  Sound off in the comments below!




No comments:

Post a Comment