Saturday, November 26, 2011

Avatar Coming To Disney's Animal Kingdom


Okay, so Disney has partnered with the ever so conceited James Cameron to bring Avatar to Disney's Animal Kingdom.  Now anybody that knows me knows that I'm one of the biggest Disney fans around so I figured I needed to put my 2 cents in on this.

I'm all for Disney partnering with 3rd party companies.  I mean it gave us Star Tours and Star Wars Weekends, then we got the Indiana Jones ride and show.  Let's not forget my favorite 3rd party ride...

(This elevator goes directly too...The Twilight Zone)

So I'm not against them bringing a non-Disney thing into a Disney theme park.  I don't know if I'm okay with them devoting an entire land to Avatar though.  I'm sure Disney could do it justice and I think it'll be pretty cool to see the world of Avatar in person but I wonder how much staying power Avatar has.

I mean if you asked me I couldn't tell you a lot of facts about Avatar.  I mean I know the main guy's name is Jake and they look for Unobtainium (the most creative name for a rare mineral/gem/rock/whatever it is)  but other than that I really couldn't tell you much more.  (They turn into blue people and try to save a tree.)  I think Disney should've gone a different route.  I mean you have lands in Animal Kingdom devoted to different areas of the world and then you have Dino-Land which is okay cause they're proven to exist.  There was suppose to be an area devoted to mythical creatures but they scrapped it so we could go to Mickey's Cabana Land as I like to call it.  But does Avatar have the power to pull in people like Star Wars does?  I don't think so.  I think the new land will pull in people now and hopefully it will when the sequels come out but I don't think it's that popular of a movie.  I mean it's a big movie and everyone saw it but nobody talks about Avatar or wants to watch it over and over again like Star Wars.  If they had Avatar weekend at Animal Kingdom then I don't think people would go.

Overall I think Disney missed a major opportunity and I think if they were going to put a new land in Animal Kingdom then they should have went with the mythological creature land that's been on the back burner since the beginning of Animal Kingdom.  I think it's going to be much more popular than Avatar in the long one unless the sequels do just as well as the original then they might have something on their hands but as of right now I think the Avatar land will be just something else in the park, not a big attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment