Saturday, August 24, 2013

Why Total Divas Works For Me

Here it goes everyone: So I'm officially addicted to Total Divas.  If you don't know about the show, it's basically the same reality show format as Keeping Up With The Kardashians, but it's stars the WWE Divas.  WWE Divas are of course the hard-hitting women of the WWE. 

Now it's not weird to be obsessed with a reality television show in this day and age.  Let's all be honest here, we all have a reality show we watch, even if it's just videos on Youtube.  The thing that is driving me crazy is that I'm infatuated with this one.  Now I'm no stranger to reality TV, I've been addicted to American Idol, Kitchen Nightmares, Ace of Cakes, and Chopped, not all at the same time, but I've had my runs with all of them.  But this type of reality show has never been my thing.  I call the the E! and MTV format reality shows, cause if you actually look at them, they're the same thing with different people. 

Now I'm asking myself, "Why Am I Addicted To This One!?"

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm addicted to professional wrestling and I'm a WWE Fan.  I'm even currently training to be a professional wrestler.  So the show does spark my interest there and I feel it does the same with many wrestling fans.  There's just one thing, what makes me care about the lives of these women and the men they're dating outside of the ring?  I think it has to deal with one thing: they are actually doing something!

If you look at Keeping Up With The Kardashians or any of the Real Housewives these are people that are basically famous for being rich and a lot of them were just born/married into their wealth, the did nothing to earn it.  I really don't care about the lives of rich lazy people.  If I wanted to watch women blow their money and make catty remarks at each other, I'd just go sit in a Nordstrom for an hour.

The thing that sets Total Divas apart from the rest is that these women are actually working to make something of themselves, they are wrestlers.  You get to see the backstage antics and stuff, it's kind of like a weekly DVD commentary or behind the scenes.  This is what makes this fun to watch, they actually have interesting lives.  I'm not sitting around watching them debate on which bag to purchase their doggie to they can tote him on the plane, I'm watching them figure out matches and set up their careers.

I mean this is what makes me tune in.  I'm actually getting to see people with extremely interesting careers and how it shapes their lives.  I think that is the reason for the rise in popularity of Duck Dynasty as well, we like interesting people.  I think America is finally tired of watching smug, rich celebrites...well for the most part.  We're finally getting back to the point of wanting to see entertaining people and I"m all for it!

Come Sunday though, one way or another, I'll be glued to my TV, ready to catch some more Total Divas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment